Thursday 14 April 2011

February's Films - Blue Valentine was my film of the month. Not often a theatrical release tops the list


February's list of films has finally been compiled and put in order of preference. Simply click on the title for a brief roundup of my opinion and possible justification for why I have put it so high or so low.

This is the first month for a while that a cinematic release is top of the pile. I'd imagine that it's mainly due to the lack of Hitchcock, Leone or vintage Eastwood seen this month.

No severe controversies like my damning of Hurt Locker last month, although most people viciously disagree with my disregard for Rec, which comes pretty much bottom. I know others may take issue with Easy A being above a Spike Lee film, but hey, I can't control what I react to; Easy A is a quality film and an important contemporary social document.

It's a shame to see This Gun For Hire so low, but I think that suffered from me comparing it with, and putting it up against such masterpieces as Double Indemnity and Out of the Past. Hard to stand out against such quality.

I said when putting January's list up that I was going to increase the brevity of the posts this month. Well my interminable need to ramble got the better of me, so that wasn't the case. I do think though, that I have a better formula for uniformed posts, with sub-headings and what not.

March's list shouldn't take half as long, as most of the month was taken up by the Bradford International Film Festival so most films are already written up (although won't be in the usual format).

Most people leave me feedback on Facebook and Twitter, which is really cool, creates a nice discussion and is more than welcome. But in addition, adding a comment at the bottom would be helpful in order to open up the debate.

I don't think I need to stress this, but this list is based on my subjective opinion and my own personal reaction to these films. I know it's cheating but that does mean I can't be wrong:P

Blue Valentine (2010)

True Grit (2010)

Easy A (2010)

25th Hour (2002)

Skeletons (2010)

Tangled (2011)

The Wave (Die Welle - 2008)

Devil’s Backbone (El Espinazo del Diablo - 2001)

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

The Fall (2006)

This Gun For Hire (1942)

American History X (1998)

Brighton Rock (2010)

Rec (2007)

Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment