Tuesday 31 May 2011

March Films

This is the third month of writing up every film I see. After constantly promising myself that I will write less so that I actually have time to keep up, I have realised that it isn't possible. The way I've been doing this has taught me a lot, particularly testing my ability to constantly write, but it wasn't feeling right. I was neither being brief enough to give myself the time to get through everything, nor was I managing to be as in depth as I wanted to be.

Add to this the ever increasingly imminent commencement of my MA, so I feel the need to get into heavier works. I have a post on A ClockWork Orange going up on Hopelies' Kubrick Project in the next coupla Weeks. I'm really happy with how that has turned out and don't really want to go back to skimming over all films too quickly to get in depth.

What I am thinking of, is having a similar ranking system, but do it weekly and only write-up the film of that week. this might work, but as always i'll be looking for that perfect way to balance this writing, writing for other sources (some that even pay), working my two jobs, preparing material for the senior citizen screening's film discussions, doing fun family things, decorating the front room and other such domestic activities.

What I have been doing a great deal more of and this is certainly going to be reflected on here, is reading some fantastic comics. From the adaptation of Paul Auster's City of Glass, to Charles Burns' wonderfully surreal teen-narrative Black Hole. Both should get a write-up on here, or go up as a general 'excellent comics' section.

As you will see from the list below, I saw many many films in March. The ones I saw at BIFF I have simply linked to their corresponding space in the festival coverage.

Once again films are ranked in order of preference and you can click on the link to get the full write-up. This month's was a really tough one between Aguirre and LiTTLEROCK, but that film wa so refreshing it just pipped Herzog's masterpiece.



LiTTLEROCK

Aguirre, Wrath of God

Traces of a Diary

How I Ended This Summer

Dance to the Spirits

Grizzly Man

Curling

Animal Kingdom

Deforce

Hobo With a Shotgun

Nosferatu the Vampre

Two in The Wave

13 Assassins

Harold’s Going Stiff
Coming in next issue of Film&Festivals

Disfarmer: A Portrait of America

Congo in Four Acts

Rango

Submarine

The Last Report on Anna

Drive Angry

Route Irish

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Stake Land

Innocent Crimes
Coming in next issue of Film&Festivals

Greeenwashers

Sailor

An American Journey

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment